Friday, September 12, 2014

Marketing Coop at George Brown Library


In the future when I will think about summer of 2014. I will remember that I was working in my coop as a marketing intern for george brown library.
Basically the library is a conservative environment and doesn't have a marketing department. This is why they decided to hire a marketing and designer students for them to bring their points of views about their college library and come up with new and innovative campaigns. Their main objective was to build campaigns that would improve the way students observe the library with a more younger and appealing look. Secondly they wanted to create a more silent library and with a marketing approach, my objective was to find a way to achieve it.

I created a big campaign with different projects that would change the culture and behavior of students in the library.
The first initiative I worked with was a silent campaign that was named "enjoy the silence". The idea for this campaign was to create a visual experience in the library. First of all I made a division of the spaces we have in the library, so silent study was represented by red color, quiet study by yellow and finally group study by green. With the help of the designer we create the visuals and a new map showing the zones.
For the campaign we also created posters that showed philosophers with quotes about silence and group study.

In order to begin a relationship with students and not only giving them a service. I opened an instagram and pinterest account in order to interact with students. The link I did was to have in the philosopher posters a hash-tag that said "How do you enjoy the silence" and telling them to express themselves by images, messages or other means how do they enjoy the silence and write it on the hash-tag #gbcenjoythesilence.

These were examples of the campaigns and project I came up with. It was challenging because of the regulations that the college has with colors and image but basically was a great experience to come up with new initiatives and strategies for a library that never used marketing strategies.




1 comment:

  1. I wonder what the results of your campaign are and whether students are more quiet now...?

    ReplyDelete